Friday, January 13, 2006

It's So Unfair: My Company

My company decided to hold "diversity training" classes for some reason I'll probably never understand. I left this training with the feeling that I should be ashamed for being an American and I should be stoned for being a Christian. Almost every single item on the training list involved bending over backwards for every other religion and country except my own. The US isn't perfect, but tell me what country is.

So, I shouldn't be upset that companies in this country are sending jobs that could be handled by Americans overseas? I shouldn't be upset that someone's religion involves me being screwed at work? I shouldn't be bothered that someone coming into this country illegally gets more benefits that I do? These were the scenarios that my company gave to us in that class and tried to make us believe in. When I questioned why the treatment of Christians was not included in the training, the trainee actually said, "I don't know, I'm just reading this". So, I have to respect the practices of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. but no one has to respect mine? I should have to deal with people disrespecting me because I believe Jesus is my Savior?

That's no joke, I read the bible (Yeah! the Bible) at my desk during lunch and get joked on for it. Pardon my French, but it's my f*cking lunch break, I can read whatever I want.

I know this country is heading toward an Anti-Christian movement, but I never expected to deal with it at work; especially in a training course. I left the class feeling that I should be ashamed to be an American and a believer in Jesus. Honestly, I've never really cared what religion other people were or what country their were from. To me, it was the person's character that mattered. But that class left me feeling really distrustful. I feel like someone's after my job and will use my religion against me. I'm not kidding, that's how oppressive that class was.

I'm not perfect...actually, I'm about as far from perfect as a person can get. But that was just too much, even for me. And, to add insult to injury, my company has the audacity to have US (United States) in its name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home